Saturday, July 17, 2010

Hardy mimicked Laurel's alert!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm having a flair of rheumatoid in my chest wall this summer. Laurel, who alerts to that, has been watching me carefully and has been more serious than usual. The other day (Tuesday, the 13th), Hardy came running up to Laurel while she was alerting. To my and Hardy's amazement, she let him know in no uncertain terms that alerting was serious business, not playtime. That really got his attention and I noticed that he was watching Laurel's alerting much more than he had been before. Then, this morning (Saturday, the 17th), Laurel was alerting and Hardy asked to come up on the bed to snuggle with me. That is not something he normally does so I helped him up and he started mimicking Laurel's alert behavior (which is to lick me at the bottom of my neck). I told them both how wonderful they were; liberally gave out treats and then let them watch me take my meds. You can see Laurel visibly relax then and after a couple minutes, Laurel invited Hardy to chew on her ears. I'm feeling pretty excited that Laurel will be able to teach Hardy to do the alerts!

No comments:

Post a Comment